DWES Cell Phone/Mobile Devices Policy - 2019-2020
In an attempt to reduce classroom disruptions, bullying, and cyber-bullying, and to promote digital citizenship, the staff at Desert Willow Elementary have created the following policy to address student use of cell phones, smart watches, and other electronic devices.
According to the CCUSD Student Handbook, personal items that are not considered necessary for the students’ educational experience should be left at home, as the school cannot assume responsibility for these items. Cell phones, smart watches, and other electronic devices are not considered necessary for the students’ educational experience.
The Cave Creek Unified School District is not responsible for the safe keeping of your items nor does the district assume responsibility for your lost or stolen property. Any personal item (i.e. electronic devices) which causes a disturbance or interferes with learning will be taken and only returned to a parent or guardian.
Cell Phones/Mobile Devices/Smart Watches Guidelines
- All devices MUST be turned completely off between 9:00am - 3:30pm.
- All devices can be turned back on at 3:30pm and used to communicate directly with parents/friends who are assisting in transportation.
- Devices are NOT allowed to be used in a classroom, cafeteria, playground, library, common areas, or restrooms.
- Devices are NOT allowed to be used during transition times or between classes.
- If a student needs to communicate with parents during the day, they are to do so through the front office.
- If a parent and/or guardian needs to get in touch with his/her student during the school day, they MUST do so by calling the front office.
- Teachers understand that once in a great while, the use of a cell phone in the classroom may be needed (for a specific project). If this is the case, the teacher will give permission to those who have a device so he/she are able to use it to meet the specific need of the project. Students who are using their devices for a specific project will also carry a technology pass.
- Grades 5 and 6: ALL devices MUST be parked in your homeroom at the start of each day. You will be able to retrieve your phone during flex time, at the end of the day.
- Grades Pre-K - 4: all devices must be parked in your classroom (teacher will designate a parking lot)
- In case of emergency, students will be granted access to their devices as long as it is safe to do so.
- Students who legitimately forget to turn in phones/devices can bring the phone/device to an adult at any time during the day to turn it in, no questions asked.
- Progressive consequences will be assigned for students violating the cell phone policy:
- Teacher will collect the phone to be returned at end-of-day. Parents will be contacted (verbal or written).
- Teacher will collect the phone to be returned after conferencing with parent (phone or in person).
- Additional offenses will result in progressive discipline, including parent-principal conference.