World Languages at STMS
French, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese
Yes, technology is shrinking our world, and in order to give our students a competitive edge in high school, university and ultimately in the global work force in which they will compete, STMS was the first and is now one of very few public middle schools in Arizona that offers all students World Languages as a daily core class.
Students learn Chinese, French or Spanish. The World Language program is integral in promoting students' global awareness and skill. Sonoran Trails has established "sister school" relationships with schools in China and France. We are currently working with the City of Phoenix to establish a working relationship with a school in Mexico.
Positions, Honors and Recognitions
1) Mariela Leon: 7th & 8th Grade Spanish Immersion Teacher and 7th Grade Spanish Teacher
2) Lucia Franjo: 7th Grade Spanish Teacher-- Guest Teacher from Spain
3) Eric DeVore: 8th Grade Spanish Teacher-- Spanish Club Sponsor and Department Lead
1) Zac Cleary: 7th Grade French Teacher
2) Zach Nielsen: 8th Grade French Teacher
*Awarded official Confucius Classroom status, 2013 by ASU Confucius Institute and Hanban Confucius Institute in China
1) Zhen Wang: 7th Grade Chinese Teacher-- Representing STMS Guest Teacher Programs from China. 2016
2) Fang Wu: 8th Grade Chinese Teacher-- Chinese Club Sponsor, AZLA Presenter 2013, ASU Confucius Institute F-CAP Curriculum Developer, 2013 Recipient CCUEF Grant "Share the Art" (an interdisciplinary, international, bilingual project)
STMS World Language Teachers: Presenters at the 2011 AZ Language Association (State Language Conference) and the Southwest Regional Language Teacher Conference (SWCOLT) 2012
NEW WORLD AND NATIVE LANGUAGE STATE STANDARDS FOR ARIZONA.
Click HERE. These are based on the Performance Towards Proficiency Guidelines published by ACTFL and are currently used out in the adult global professional world. (May, 2015)
Title: Traveling the 21st Century World Language Map (see attachment below for power point)